- The SKoop Political Briefing
- Posts
- đź—ł Who's on the ballot?
đź—ł Who's on the ballot?
A look at who's running for Saskatoon City Council, Moe makes announcements in Prince Albert, Beck promises to remove PST on children's clothes, and federal polling ahead of Parliament's return.
September 16, 2024 | Advertise with us

Be campaign ready.
Presented by
Good morning! And welcome to another big week of political news. Each day we’re getting closer to the official kickoff of the Saskatchewan election. Have a great week!
Here’s The SKoop for Monday, September 16:
Who is running for Saskatoon City Council?
Moe makes an announcements in Prince Albert,
Beck promises to remove PST on children’s clothes, some groceries, and
New federal polling ahead of Parliament’s return.
Today’s Top Stories
A look at who is running for Saskatoon City Council

Saskatoon
The municipal election date in Saskatchewan is November 13. The Regina Leader-Post has compiled a list of Regina’s municipal candidates and today The SKoop is breaking down the candidates running in Saskatoon.
Mayor: There are four names in the race for the Mayor’s chair in Saskatoon. Gordon Wyant, Cynthia Block, Cary Tarasoff, and Don Atchison.
Ward 1: If incumbent Councillor Darren Hill runs again, he will be challenged by Russell Nadin, Trent LaLonde, Kathryn MacDonald, and Dallas Burnett.
Ward 2: Incumbent Councillor Hilary Gough is not running again. Senos Timon, Jean Beliveau, and Karen Kobussen have put their names forward.
Ward 3: Incumbent Councillor David Kirton is not running again. So far three candidates, Robert Pearce, Devyn Gregoire, and Mike San Miguel have put their names forward.
Ward 4: Incumbent Councillor Troy Davies announced he will seek another term. He will face a challenge from Courtney Saliken and Numaan Shafqat.
Ward 5: Incumbent Councillor Randy Donauer has not officially launched a re-election bid, although it is expected he will seek another term. There are currently no other candidates in Ward 5.
Ward 6: Incumbent Councillor Cynthia Block is running for Mayor, so a new Councillor will be elected this fall. Tony Bassette, Jon Naylor, Jasmin Parker, and Lee Kormish are all looking to succeed Block.
Ward 7: Incumbent Councillor Mairin Loewen is not running again. Holly Kelleher, Edward Agbai, and Justin Wiens have all put their names forward to be on the ballot.
Ward 8: Incumbent Councillor Sarina Gersher is not running again. Three names have publically expressed interest, Prathamesh Kale, Henry Chan, and Malvina Rapko.
Ward 9: Incumbent Councillor Bev Dubois is seeking another term. So far, there are no other candidates.
Ward 10: Incumbent Councillor Zach Jeffries has not publically announced his intentions. It is expected he will run again. There are no other candidates at this time.
Sponsored by the Saskatchewan Heavy Construction Association
Learn more about the great work the Saskatchewan Heavy Construction Association and its members are doing at saskheavy.ca.
Sask. Party makes announcements in Prince Albert

Premier Scott Moe speaks in Prince Albert (CKOM News)
Premier Scott Moe announced Thursday afternoon that the province has allocated nearly 1.2 million cubic metres of timber to One Sky Forest Products. The announcement will help to support the opening of a $400 million oriented strand board (OSB) plant near Prince Albert.
The Premier said the province set a target of doubling the size of Saskatchewan’s forestry sector by 2030 and encouraging Indigenous participation as part of the government’s Growth Plan.
Moe said, “This allocation positions the industry to meet that growth target, working with Indigenous businesses and creating jobs for northern residents, further protecting and promoting Saskatchewan.”
In addition to the forestry announcement, Moe was also on hand to announce investments in public safety for Prince Albert. Overall, the City of Prince Albert will receive $2.0 million to hire 17 new frontline officers for the Prince Albert Police Service.
Both the Saskatchewan Party and NDP are looking to win the two seats in Prince Albert this fall.
Sponsored by Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce
Join the Saskatchewan Chamber for two pre-election dialogues with the New Democratic Party and the Saskatchewan Party ahead of the provincial election.
These events offer a chance to hear directly from party leaders about their visions for Saskatchewan’s future. Engage in key discussions on growth, innovation, and policies shaping the province.
Don't miss this opportunity to gain a well-rounded perspective before election season, learn more and register here.
Beck promises to remove PST from children’s clothes, some groceries

NDP leader makes an announcement in Saskatoon.
The Saskatchewan NDP continued their policy rollout last week with more announcements focusing on affordability.
Party leader Carla Beck held two separate press conferences last week and promised that if elected, she would remove the PST from children’s clothing and certain grocery items. This would reverse the decision made by the Saskatchewan Party in the 2017 budget that added PST back on to children’s clothing, after the party promised to remove it during the 2011 provincial election.
“I hear from parents every day who can barely make ends meet,” Beck said. “The Sask. Party should have never put a tax on clothes for children. At a time when families are struggling, this was shortsighted and unnecessary — kids’ clothing isn’t a luxury, like Moe’s million-dollar trip to Dubai.”
On Friday Beck promised to remove the PST on items at the grocery store that were previously exempt. “If it’s food and you buy it from a grocery store, you shouldn’t have to pay tax,” said Beck. “Cutting the Sask. Party’s grocery tax is one common-sense step we can take to put more money back into people’s pockets.”
The exemption would include items like rotisserie chickens and hot ready-to-eat meals. The NDP says this would save families $500 per year.
New federal polling ahead of Parliament’s return

Abacus Data
Abacus Data has released fresh data ahead of a big week in federal politics.
In the poll, those that say they are certain to vote show the Conservative Party with a 26% lead. Among likely voters, the topline number is 43% Conservative, 22% Liberal, and 18% NDP. This is in line with the trend of the previous year.
Over the last few months the intensity of the country’s desire for change has also increased. 86% want change overall (unchanged), and 56% want change and believe there’s a good alternative to the Liberals (up 1 point and up 4 since July). Only 14% of Canadians believe that Justin Trudeau and the Liberals deserve to be re-elected.
Today just 24% of Canadians approve of the government, while 62% have an unfavorable opinion. The government’s deteriorating approval numbers are also reflective in views of the Prime Minister. As Parliament is set to reconvene on Monday and two key byelections are set to conclude, the Prime Minister insists he will not resign, even if the Liberals lose the Montreal byelection.
David Coletto of Abacus Data said, “Today, 22% (down 2 points) have a positive view of the Prime Minister, while 61% (up 2 points) have a negative impression of the Prime Minister, for a net score of -39. The is the worst net score we have measured for Mr. Trudeau.”

When you look at Conservative supporters across the country, 94% of those who say they will vote Conservative are unlikely to change their mind at this point.
In terms of issues, cost of living, housing, and healthcare are all top of mind for voters.
Sponsored by Insurance Brokers Association of Saskatchewan
More news and info
2024 Election Candidate Tracker
![]()
| ![]()
|